Thursday, August 13, 2009

Pology Cookies

I am posting this little blog here because of the relavence to our Book Club's July book, Shelter Me. I will probably also tell this story on my blog, The Life and Times of the Humps.

Last Friday, I had an ultrasound scheduled so we could find out the gender of our baby. Ellis and I were super excited. As a matter of fact, Ellis's sister planned her vacation around this ultrasound and Ellis's birthday rafting trip down the Hiwassee. She had been visiting from Northern Ohio for two weeks. It was getting a little long (and she was missing her hubby) so she had contemplated going home earlier in the week. But knowing that we had this ultrasound coming up, she decided to stay.

In addition, Ellis took the entire day off, as did I, for this special day. Since Ellis is working 5 10 hour days, he was losing 10 hours of over time to see our little one. When I made the appointment, I did not know that this day was a big in-service day for the school system, so it was a big deal that I was missing it, too.

We arrived at the doctor's office promptly at 9:20, our appt time. Cassie, Ellis's sister, had her car packed so she could leave after we found out about the baby. Since the flyer from the doctor's office said that we could only have 2 guests, I had a close friend meet us at the office to sit in the waiting room with our nephew, Matthew. So, I had a big entourage. Me, Ellis, Cassie, Mattie, and Andrea.

When I checked in, I was told that the ultrasound machine was down. The office decided on Thursday to not call me and tell me this because I had an appointment to see a doctor anyway.

Wow. I was pretty floored. If I had known on Thursday evening, I would have probably sent Ellis on to work, helped Cassie get an early start on the road to OH, and let Andrea sleep in. At that point, I became the "squeaky wheel." I talked to two of the ladies in the business office about any other possibilities for this ultrasound taking place today. At first, there seemed to be another option, but it quickly dissolved. Then, when we went to see the doctor, I explained that we had a lot of schedules that were changed and altered for these people to be there with me that day.

Ok, the truth is... I was pushy. But in a nice, Southern way.

Finally, another doctor's office gave our technician permission to use their machine. We quickly drove over to this other office and quietly snuck in to their ultrasound room. All of the drama was worth it when we found out that we were having a little girl!

I was so thankful that the doctor's office worked with us that I vowed to make them some cookies for my next visit.

We did get to see little Hattie Humphres on Friday, but the machine that we viewed her on was not as superior as the machine at my doctor's office. So, I was called on Monday morning to set up a follow-up ultrasound. The purpose of this big ultrasound was to measure the baby and determine how the baby was doing, growing, and to have an opportunity to video our remarkable little girl. So, my follow-up was scheduled for Wednesday.


On Tuesday, after work, I stopped at the grocery and picked up some fresh ingredients for cookies for the ultrasound technician and the ladies in the office. As I was baking, I thought, "Are these Pology Cookies?" I was thankful for all that the people in the office did for me. So I wanted to let them know that it was important to me. I don't think I was mean. I was just firm. But in some way, I think these were some Pology Cookies for rocking the boat (not my normal MO).

When I gave them to my ultrasound technician, she was very pleased. As a matter of fact, she said, "That just makes my day!"

And that was worth it. I like Pology Cookies. There is something special about baking them and thinking about who you are making them for. Sending positive thoughts through food. I like it!

No comments: